Bringing Baby Home Workshop
Bringing Baby Home Workshop is an educational program for pregnant couples and families with children up to three years of age. It was designed and created by relationship experts, Drs. John and Julie Gottman, at The Relationship Research Institute in Seattle, Washington. The goal of the program is to improve the quality of life for babies and children by strengthening the parental relationship.
The Gottman’s research demonstrates that when couples become parents, there is a significant decrease in their relationship satisfaction. Further research has shown that relationship discord and conflict have a profound negative effect on the couples’ infants and toddlers.
The Bringing Baby Home Program was developed in order to support families during this challenging, transitional time. Dr. Gottman’s research shows that couples who have participated in the Program experience:
- A significantly lower rate of postpartum mood disorders and depression
- A decrease in relationship hostility
- A higher level of relationship satisfaction
- A decreased likelihood of divorce
The content of the program evolved from Dr. Gottman’s 40 years of marriage and family research and is designed to teach parents to:
- Increase friendship in their relationship
- Deal effectively with conflict
- Keep dads involved in infant care and parenting
- Improve the quality of parent–infant interaction
- Recognize the psychological and emotional needs of their child
- Co-Parent effectively
The Program also teaches ways to nurture the family environment through the toddler and preschool years. By supporting couples as they become parents, children benefit. By teaching couples how to build a strong emotional foundation in their family during the very early stages of a child’s life, children are raised in healthier environments. These benefits result in positive changes for families. Once this foundation is established in a family, research shows that children do better in school, adapt better socially, and are physically and emotionally healthier.
The Bringing Baby Home workshop takes place at our downtown Miami office in a small group setting where couples are given guidance and a variety of materials and exercises to go through as partners. The workshop was structured on a 16-hour delivery format and is broken up into two weekends (4 hours of material on both Saturday and Sunday for two weeks). 15-minute breaks are provided at every 1.5 hour mark and a 1 hour break for lunch is provided.
- During interactive exercises, couples will be asked to leave the room in order to perform the short 10 minutes-exercise.
- Couples will not be asked to disclose any personal information or to share the outcome of their exercise with others.
- 10 to 15 minutes of assigned homework involving an exercise for the couple to practice at home is encouraged for couples to get the most out of the workshop.
- Attendees will be provided with all required materials as well as lunch and snacks which will consist of hot coffee, tea, soda, water, sandwiches, salads, fruit, cookies, and chips. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us before you register for the workshop.
- It is recommended that you dress in layers to insure that you will be comfortable in the temperature of the room.
- No guests or children are permitted in the workshop. Couples who bring their children with them will not be permitted to attend the workshop, and will not be eligible for a refund.
- Street parking and public parking garages are available nearby.